When you run yourself ragged day in and day out — buying groceries, working, taking care of the kids and the parents — it can feel nearly impossible to find time for yourself. New parents often mourn the loss of their reading days, feeling like they may never complete another book until their youngest heads off to college. With a little help and planning, that doesn’t have to be the case!
Intentionally creating time for reading offers many educational and health benefits, for both adults and children. It’s National Library Week and a great time to dive into a great book!
The Benefits of Reading for Adults
Here are just a few reasons you should work reading back into your schedule.
- Reading is a great escape and stress reliever. According to a British study, reading is one of the best ways to calm frazzled nerves. Even six minutes can be enough to reduce stress levels by more than two thirds!
- Reading keeps your mind sharp.
- Reading means you never stop learning. Every story has something to teach you or a new way to look at things.
- Reading makes us more empathetic. Dive into stories about people who are different from you, and you’ll be amazed what you learn about relating to others.
- You’ll expand your vocabulary with every book!
The Benefits of Reading for Children
- Reading is exercise for the brain, and even more important for a developing brain.
- Reading increases children’s proficiency.
- Children’s concentration is improved with each story they read.
- Reading educates kids about the world around them.
- A good book can spark a child’s imagination like nothing else. They may find inspiration for their next science project or a story of their own.
- Reading is a wonderful way to expand a child’s vocabulary and overall language skills.
- When you read with your child, it’s an incomparable bonding experience. So, snuggle up with them and read aloud!
Making Time to Read
With the fast pace of our lives today, in order to find time to read, you might have to actually schedule it. Work it into your daily plan. Some great ways to sneak reading into your day are to create a nighttime ritual of reading before bed, take a book to read on your lunch break or get up a few minutes early to read over coffee.
If you study your schedule and just can’t figure out how to make it work, look at which errands and tasks you could pass off to someone and hire one of our personal assistants. While you settle in with your cup of tea and latest bestseller, we’ll handle the running around for you. Prescription drop off and pick up, grocery shopping, auto services, pet grooming and care — and even returning all those library books you’ll now have time to get through!
Give us a call today to get started and create a personalized plan. We look forward to serving you!
Errand Works, LLC is a licensed, bonded and insured personal assistance company dedicated to improving quality of life for professionals, caregivers and other busy individuals. Every personal assistant must pass a Virginia State Criminal Background Check prior to being hired. In addition, each personal assistant is a Virginia State Notary. Errand Works currently serves Prince William County and the surrounding areas. Call today to schedule your appointment! You’ll get one hour of service free! (703) 881-1599