Admit it. How often do you find yourself staring into the refrigerator at 5 p.m. wondering what you’re going to make for dinner? We’ve all been there. Life gets overwhelming and you’re so grateful to have made it through the hectic day, only to get home and realize that dinner might be chaos, too.
You can change that. Make dinner a smooth, well-thought-out, healthy daily experience with these time-saving ideas. Employ a few of them and you’ll at least be able to count on one part of the day going smoothly!
Ace the Planning
- Success in the kitchen starts with a weekly plan. Every Sunday, sit down and plan a menu for the week.
- As you’re choosing your recipes, find some with similar ingredients. You can cook or chop once and have ingredients ready to go for the next recipe.
- Plan to double it! Freeze the second batch or use it for lunches throughout the week.
- Choose a meal prep day and prepare items ahead of time. You can grill or sauté the chicken for the next two night’s dinners, so all you have to do is toss the pieces in! Cutting vegetables and portioning them out is another great time saver for those busy week nights. You can just grab and go.
Apply Some Kitchen Hacks
- Use chopped frozen veggies. Just open and pour instead of laboring over getting those pieces of onion tiny enough!
- If you don’t want to use frozen foods, check out the produce section for fresh prepped veggies. You can find stir fry mixes, cubed butternut squash and even zoodles! (That’s zucchini noodles, in case you haven’t tried those delicious pasta substitutes.)
- Buy pre-washed greens and use them straight out of the bag.
- Opt for canned beans instead of soaking dried ones overnight.
- Go for quick-cooking grains. Again, don’t feel bad if you don’t have time to soak and cook for ages. There are some great, healthy alternatives that take half the time.
- Invest in an Instant Pot. This time-saving creation slashes cook times by more than half in many cases. You can do meat, veggies and grains.
Shop Like a Celebrity
- Do you think celebrities spend hours a week in the grocery store searching for that obscure ingredient they need for Wednesday’s dinner? Definitely not, and you don’t have to either! Choose your favorite store, use their online ordering option and simply swing buy and pick up your groceries! You don’t even have to set foot in the store!
- And if you REALLY want to save time, have Errand Works pick those groceries up for you, deliver them to your home and unpack them.
Snag a few or all of these tips, and you’ll be serving up healthy meals every night of the week without breaking out in a cold sweat. You’ve got this.
Let Errand Works personal assistants help you take the stress out of meal preparation. Give us a call today to discuss our wide variety of services. If you are a new Errand Works customer, call 703-881-1599 before March 16, 2018 to get your FIRST HOUR FREE!
Errand Works, LLC, is a licensed, bonded and insured personal assistance company. Every personal assistant must pass a Virginia State Criminal Background Check prior to being hired. In addition, each errand runner is a Virginia State Notary. Errand Works currently serves Prince William County and the surrounding areas.