There’s so much to think of when you’re heading out on a vacation or business trip. While you’re packing and planning, don’t forget to make special plans to care for your home while you are away. We’ve prepared a list of items for you to check before you walk out the door to ensure you’re leaving a safe and protected home.
Tasks to Complete a Few Days Before Leaving
You can divide your tasks into those that you can take care of the week or so before you go and those you’ll need to tackle right before you exit. Here are some things to think of a few days before you leave:
- Stop or forward your mail, depending on how long you will be gone.
- Stop newspapers and other deliveries.
- Notify your security monitoring company of your trip.
- Make sure your HVAC and furnace are working properly — schedule a tune up if it’s been a while.
- Provide friends, neighbors and/or hired house sitters your keys, itinerary and emergency phone numbers.
- Review all of your bills and make sure they are paid while you are away to ensure utilities stay on.
- Plan for your pets’ care. Write out all needed instructions and gather supplies into one spot.
- Program friends’ and neighbors’ contact information into your phone.
- Confirm all scheduled services while you are away — pet sitters, house sitters, etc.
- Place valuables in a safe or a safety deposit box at the bank.
- Arrange for your garbage cans to be set out, if needed.
- Tidy up outdoors to ensure safety if a storm comes through.
Tasks to Complete Before You Walk Out the Door
Some of the most important tasks will occur the day you leave. Here’s our list of ones that are not to be forgotten!
- Move plants as needed to make it easy for watering.
- Double check that all windows and doors are locked. Don’t forget the garage and shed!
- Unplug electronics and appliances to protect them in case of surges and to save you money.
- Turn the thermostat up or down, depending on the season.
- Clean all perishables out of your refrigerator. (Rotting food is NOT a great welcome home surprise!)
- Wash all dishes and empty the dishwasher.
- Leave on a few strategic lights, or set timers if you will be using them.
Preparing to head out on vacation can be a time-consuming task. Whether you need assistance with preparations or help while you are away, Errand Works offers trustworthy employees to cover your needs. Our errand runners can handle last-minute dry cleaning runs, pick up prescription refills, take care of post office runs and more as you get ready. And while you are away, we can retrieve mail, switch up lights, care for plants and even stock your pantry before you return home! Call us today to find out how we can simplify your planning and time away.
Errand Works, LLC, is licensed, bonded and insured. Every errand runner must pass a Virginia State Criminal Background Check prior to being hired. In addition, each errand runner is a Virginia State Notary. Errand Works currently serves Prince William County, Fauquier County, Fairfax County, Loudoun County and the surrounding areas.